The Junior Coaster (RCT2/RCT3/Planet Coaster) or Steel Mini Roller Coaster (RCT1) is a type of roller coaster. Especially in RCT1, it is often available to be built at the beginning of the scenario, and is generally less expensive to build than other roller coaster types.
Track has steel running rails with cross-bracing. Supports are made of square section posts. Trains are held on the track by wheels above, below, and outside the running rails.
Special Track Elements
- Banked curves (Loopy Landscapes and onward)
- Helix (Loopy Landscapes and onward)
- Curved lift hill
- Booster (RCTC and OpenRCT2 only)
- Maximum track slope - 60° (RCT1, RCT3 and OpenRCT2 only; the Junior Roller Coaster of RCT2, RCTC has a maximum of 25°)
- Lift hill maximum slope - 25° (Straight and Curved)
- Maximum height above ground - 65 feet
- Continuous circuit mode
- Reversed-Incline launched shuttle mode (RCT1 and OpenRCT2 only)
- Continuous circuit blocked section mode (RCT2 onwards)
- Crazy Caterpillar
- Raging Rocket
- Roller Coaster 1 (Tutorial)
- Arachnophobia (Diamond Heights)
- Runaway Plumber (Katie's Dreamland)
- Tree Topper (Ivory Towers)
- Hiccup (Gentle Glen)
- Whiplash (Fiasco Forest)
- Roller Coaster 1 (Paradise Pier 2)
- Roller Coaster 1 (Nevermore Park)
- Big Bug (Megaworld Park)
- Rickety Rockets (Megaworld Park)
- Spinner (Megaworld Park)
- Black Hole (Alton Towers)
- Space Invader (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
- Chocolate Log
- Crazy Caterpillar
- Mango Muncher
- Blackbeards Lost Treasure Train (Six Flags Great Adventure)
- Pandamonium (Panda World)
- Log Train Junior Coaster (Robin Hood)
- Cheaper than other types of roller coasters, but can't be built as tall.
- This ride is called Steel Mini Roller Coaster in RCT1 and Junior Roller Coaster in RCT2.
- In RCT1, spinning cars cannot be used on tracks with banked curves.
- The Spinning Cars are not included in RCT2.
- In RCT2, the steep slopes of the RCT1 Steel Mini Coaster and the Rocket Cars are not on the Junior Coaster. Rather, they are put onto a new design, the Mini Coaster, which can do steep drops, but can only run single-car trains. The maximum height of the Junior Roller Coaster is also lower than in RCT1.
- Probably due to the amount of incompatible changes compared to RCT1, RCT2 refuses to import Steel Mini Roller Coaster track designs from RCT1.
- OpenRCT2 restores steep slopes, the old maximum height and the reverse-incline launched shuttle mode on the Junior Roller Coaster. It also added support for importing track designs from RCT1, even with Rocket Cars. OpenRCT2 also supports boosters on this ride type, which were added in RCTC.