Track has a tubular steel spine, connected to the inside edges of tubular steel running rails. Supports are large tubular steel posts. Trains are held on the track by wheels above, below, and outside the running rails.
Special Track Elements
- Banked Curves
- Vertical Loop
- Steep Twist
- Banked Helix
- Booster (RCT1 and RCTC only)
- Corkscrew (RCT3 only)
- Large Corkscrew (RCT3 only)
- Half Loop (RCT3 only)
- Quarter Loop (RCT3 only)
- Banked curves - 50° banking (90° in RCT3)
- Maximum track slope - 60° (90° in RCT3)
- Lift hill maximum slope - 25° (60° in RCT3)
- Maximum height above ground - 150 ft
- Roller Coaster Train
- Roller Coaster Train (facing backwards) (RCT1 only)
- Police Chase Coaster (RCT2 only; requires Time Twister)
- Continuous circuit mode
- Powered launch
- Reversed-Incline launched shuttle mode
- Shuttle Loop
- Agoraphobia (Diamond Heights)
- Claustrophobia (Diamond Heights)
- Hear No Evil (Three Monkeys Park)
- See No Evil (Three Monkeys Park)
- Speak No Evil (Three Monkeys Park)
- Roller Coaster 1 (Volcania)
- Roller Coaster 3 (Dragon's Cove)
- Thunderlooper (Megaworld Park)
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
- Black Panther
- Deep Freeze
- Turbine (Six Flags Belgium)
- Revolution (Six Flags Magic Mountain) (Can't be saved as pre-built ride)
- Runaway Mountain (Six Flags Over Texas)
- Shockwave (Six Flags Over Texas)
- Gives a very smooth ride, and allows the design of long, fast, and twisted track layouts.
- The difference between the Steel Roller Coaster's powered launch and the LIM Launched Roller Coaster's launch is that the train will pass through the station for the Steel Roller Coaster, which is not true of the LIM Launched Coaster's train. Another difference is that Steel Coasters can have a lift hill with chain lift later in the ride while LIM can not have chain lift at all.
- This ride is called Steel Roller Coaster in the original RollerCoaster Tycoon.
- The first and second games have different roller coaster train designs.
In Real Life
The Looping Coaster closely resembles the coasters designed by Schwarzkopf and Hopkins. This track type is also useful for making shuttle roller coasters like the popular Shuttle Loop model manufactured by Schwarkopf.