In RollerCoaster Tycoon, cheats are inputted by redesignating a guest to a certain name. The effect(s) will take place after the name is entered. The limitation is that you can not name two guests with the exact same name (However you can change the capitalization of the code to use it on multiple guests, such as Mr Bean and MR Bean). The game also includes "easter eggs" which are activated when you rename a guest as one of the following:
RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 and 2 Cheats
- Andy Hine - Thinks "Nice ride! But not as nice as the Phoenix..." after leaving a roller coaster
- Chris Sawyer - Takes pictures frequently while navigating the park
- Damon Hill - Rides all Go Karts four times as fast
- Elissa White - Thinks "Brilliant...it's an Intamin Ride," when on any ride made by Intamin (Giga Coaster, Inverted Impulse Coaster, etc.) (RCT2 Exclusive)
- John Wardley - Thinks "Wow!" often
- Katie Brayshaw - Waves occasionally
- Melanie Warn - Sets the guest's Happiness to almst maximum, give them full energy, and removes nausea upon renaming
- Michael Schumacher - Rides all Go Karts twice as fast
- Mr Bean - Rides all Go Karts at 3 km/h
- Simon Foster - Paints occasionally
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Cheats
- Isambard Kingdom Brunel - Fully trains all staff at no cost (Although wages will increase)
- FPS - Displays a Frames Per Second counter
- Ghost Town - Will stop the flow of peeps coming into your park. This cheat is irreversible and requires the game to be restarted in order to lose the effect
- Andrew Thomas - Decreases track friction, which can make coasters go faster along their tracks
- Andrew Gillett - Sets track friction to 0. (In some scenarios, this cheat raises your park value slightly)
- David Braben - Allows the player to raise the launch and lift chain speeds for Roller Coasters and drop towers to unlimited speeds
- John D Rockefeller - Adds $10,000 to your cash
- Atari - Peeps applaud you
- Chris Sawyer - Peeps applaud you and leap into the air.
- Mouse - Peeps' heads swivel to follow the mouse cursor
- Guido Fawkes- Enables the Advanced Fireworks Editor in the fireworks menu
- James Hunt - A driveable dune buggy is spawned
- D Lean - Opens the Flying Camera routes editor (Also accessible via SHIFT+0)
- A Hitchcock - Many ducks spawn flying around the map
- PhotoStory - Peeps take photos of park landmarks
- ATITech - Every entity moves super fast for twenty seconds (In-game clock stays at a normal speed)
- Make Me Sick - All peeps become sick and vomit simultaneously
- John Wardley - No limit to track heights for various rides
- Frontier - Park attractions no longer break down
- Jon Roach - Makes every peep ride every ride at least once before exiting the park
- Sam Denney - Makes every peep ride every coaster at least once before exiting the park
- Atomic - Explosions have a much more powerful effect
- Elissa White: Whenever a female adult peep named this enters a queue for a Giga Coaster or Impulse Coaster, she says, "I'm so excited - it's an Intamin ride!"
- Jonny Watts - Enables a first-person view for the renamed peep
- M Brookes - Enables you to place wall pieces and other scenery items on the edge of path tiles
- Alistair Lindsay - Alters the speed at which some sound effects are played at.
- Rick Griffiths - Changes the walls and ceiling of tunnels to a shark texture
- Mornington Crescent - Enables you to build shops and more underground
- David Walsh - Hides the user interface (CTRL+U to re-enable the UI)
- Rabbit - Animals breed at an increased rate
- Alvin Swazonegger - Allows large billboard movies
- Jurassic Dart - Helicopter shoots miniature dinosaurs instead of tranquilizer darts.
Miscellaneous Exploitations and Tips
Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2
Once guests have joined a queue, they are going to ride the attraction no matter the cost (unless they grow impatient and storm out). When you see a ride with many people thinking "I'm not paying that much to go on.....", decrease the admission fee to $0. Guests will start swarming into the queue line until it is full. Then, when a train pulls into a station, pause the game and increase the admission fee. Guests will still pay to get into the ride. Then when the queue has shortened, lower the fee to free again to attract more guests. Keep doing this and coasters could potentially earn up to 5x what they normally earn in an hour.
You don't have to pay staff anything so long as they spend less than a week in your park. So if you see a piece of vomit, or a ride that needs fixing , for example, hire a handyman or mechanic and place him right next to the vomit/ride. Once he fixes the ride or cleans the path, sack him immediately. Repeat this for every dirty path tile/broken ride in your park, and you don't need to pay a single cent for salaries.
You're Not Allowed to Leave the Park
A classic exploit- once you find yourself near the scenario deadline and realize you have not enough guests, put a No Entry Sign on the path leading to the park exit. Guests will become stuck in your park, but more guests will still enter, so your guest number can only increase. However, the decrease in park rating by unhappy guests wanting to go home is significant, even with the highest rating possible, so keep an eye on the rating if you need it above a certain number to finish the scenario.
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 Only
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 has a feature where the game will automatically clear some scenery when a ride is being constructed. For example, if a ride is being placed on terrain occupied by trees, the ride can be placed without manually removing the trees. This feature isn't perfect, however, as the cost of automatically removing such items (trees, bushes, shrubs) is much higher than manually removing them. However some items, notably Base Blocks, when automatically removed by placing a ride, return more money than it costs to place them. This opens a handful of possibilities to exploit this glitch for easy money when you need it.
Below are 5 different ways of exploiting this glitch for money :
- Placing a large cluster of Base Blocks, 3 blocks long by 3 blocks large *9+ blocks high on each, and then placing a ride (such as the Twist or the Merry-Go-Round) where the blocks sit : the auto-clear feature will then sell those blocks, for a good profit.
- Using an alternate process for this very same cheat, by making the base block cluster 3 blocks wide *4 blocks long *40 blocks high, then placing 3 Ferris Wheels one against the other, in the blocks. Each wheel woudl bring a substantial amount of money, then bring another few hundred dollars on demolition.
- Another way of exploiting this cheat is to make a line of base blocks of 5 blocks high, then build a ride that goes through this line of blocks. Each portion of ride would cost $-200+, depending on the tyoe of ride you're building although the animated swamp blocks from the Horror theme bring much more. The most profitable rides for this cheat are the Miniature Railroad , Car Ride, and Steel Twister Coasters work well.
- This can even be easier : instead of stacking base blocks (even though it makes a nice practice for the Ctrl. Feature) , you can build water jets, from the water theming. There, build a ride that goes through the fountains you've placed earlier. Quick, easy money.
- But the easiest way to make money using this cheat, is to build a Launched Freefall (or any tower ride for that matter) with the smallest height. Normally, it should have no more than two tower blocks above the base. Above it, stack as many base blocks as you can (un-zoom to help), preferably 70 or more of them. Then test and save the ride with its "scenery" on. Your "Cheat Tower" is just ready for action. Now, in any park on which you need quick money, just build it and expand the tower through the blocks...
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 has a glitch involving roller coasters with a powered launch option, such as the looping or corkscrew roller coasters. By building a station and track leading to a straight stretch of pathway, the train can be made to roll along the path for a long distance without crashing. The train will crash once it reaches the end of the pathway, and some cars on the train may stray off the straight path and crash individually beforehand. Trains do not interact with any guests on the path and do not damage or remove path objects.
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
Build on un-bought land
In the mesas in the back of the park in Broom Lake (the ones with the steel wall structures on them) as well as the large canyon in Ghost Town, you can not purchase this land nor purchase construction rights for it. However, you are still allowed to build various objects within the area.